The Lawlyes Log

The Lawlyes Family experienced a lot of changes in the last year. Last December our first grandchild, Benjamin was born to Becky and Matt, becoming the new center of our universe. Sara graduated from law school and relocated to Long Beach, CA and is working for the U.S. Air Force. Carolyn and Larry retired and moved to Prescott, AZ. Staying in touch with each other and our friends is a challenge and a priority. This log will help us share the new unfolding chapters of our lives.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Prescott, Arizona

Monday, August 27, 2007

A Tragedy in Prescott Valley

Highway 69 is a busy highway that runs between Prescott and Prescott Valley. Anyone who has driven it in recent years has seen a young woman jogging along it.

Jessica Martin ran everyday before or after work from her job at New Frontier grocery to her home in Prescott Valley six or seven miles away. After the local paper did a feature on her, Jessica became well known to many. Her running style, arms bent at the elbows and hands extended in the air, was unique. When you saw her, you knew it was Jessica.

She ran to battle bi-polar disorder. Her goal was the Boston Marathon.

While running early in the morning on August 15th, Jessica was struck by a pickup truck on Highway 69. She was helicoptered to a Phoenix hospital but did not survive her injuries.

The outpouring of grief has been incredible. A roadside cross was set up at the accident site. People have left flowers, stuffed animals and other remembrances.


There has been a constant stream of visitors. It continues nearly two weeks after the accident.


Her jogging shoes hang there.


Handwritten notes have been posted by strangers attesting to the meaning that Jessica's life had for others.


Jessica celebrated her 29th birthday just three days before her death.

Seeing her run was inspiring and gave me great joy. She touched more people then she will ever know.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just wondering who you are. Gheral Brownlow told me about Jessica running the hwy every morning. I went on my own search one day to try and figure out who she was. Then one day I approached her at New Frontiers and told her we had a mutual friend! Gheral! I asked her if she wanted a ride home and that was the start of me picking her up or taking her home sometimes and then talking on the phone and such. :( I have had no one to talk to about it...

12:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello There,

I'm Jessica long time friend from school we go back to jr high. But i just found out this last weekend and i'm almost in shock. My mom use to drive me to spend the night all the time with jess.... they called us the bubble butt twins :)hahahah when she still lived out here i picked her up and took her out because she couldnt drive because of her meds...and she came to my wedding with her mom etc etc....I'm trying to find her mom because i still live very close to her and i forgot her name... can you please connect me with someone....i misss her soooo much im so sad... but i know shes at peace shes a beautiful woman... by the way my name is Denise Marcotrigiano my phone is 949-274-1515 if you can call and just tell me some things i would appreciate it....take care or email me at deedee.1977@live.com.

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home